Monday, January 02, 2006

AVATAR The Last Airbender



I accidentally stumbled onto this animated series when I visited a website looking for some anime information. The information listed indicated that it was already half way through the series. So I did a search for more information on the net and found that it was not an anime. I decided not to pursue the series further.

Then while channel surfing on a fine weekend some months ago, I saw the show being broadcast on Nickelodeon (which is where the show was created for in the first place). I decided to give it a try, and to my surprise, it was very good.

The story is simple: This kid called Aang, destined to be the next Avatar, master of air, water, earth and fire bending (which means controlling), gets trapped in a block of ice, and released some 100 years later (ala Captain America), by 2 kids from the water tribe. During his absence, the Fire nation started a war to rule the 4 nations (world was divided then into Fire, Water, Earth, Air, all skilled in the art of their respective element bending). Now back to the present, he must master all the elements, defeat the Fire nation and being peace to the world. Quite a hugh undertaking for a 12 year old, who has only knolwdge in air bending.

What captivated me to this series are the animation and style. It is sometimes wacky, and the animation is smooth and consistent throughout. On one episode, a sequence of animation was done similar to the style of the Japanese anime DeadLeaves. But I do find the used of a singular colour tone and anime influence too dull. But that does not make the show any much less enjoyable.

The DVD will be out in Jan 2006. Sadly, when I heard the news, I thought it was for the complete 1st season. It turns out that it is only Vol 1 of the first season, comprising of 4 episodes only. At this rate, I am not sure when the whole 1st season will be completely released, before a boxset (hopefully) will be released.

Anyway, Happy New Year !

No comments: